Independent Conveyancers emerged in Victoria in the early 1980s. For the first time, Victorian consumers were offered the same freedom of choice for conveyancing services that had existed in other Australian States for many years. South Australia, for example, has had Licensed Conveyancers since 1923.
In 1989, a small group of independent conveyancing practitioners formed the Victorian Conveyancers’ Association (VCA). In 1991, the Association was incorporated and provided educational standards and professional indemnity insurance.
In 1997, the VCA became a division of the Australian Institute of Conveyancers and the name was changed to the Australian Institute of Conveyancers – (Victorian Division) – AIC Vic. The focus of AIC Vic has always been to promote high educational, ethical and professional standards for Conveyancers.
In 1998, AIC Vic took its first steps towards introducing quality standards for the profession with the launch of the Certified Practising Conveyancer (CPC) Program for members.
As a result of our advocacy, in 2008, the Victorian Government introduced licensing for conveyancers with the introduction of the Conveyancers Act 2006.
AIC Vic continues to work with educational institutions and government bodies to encourage high standards of education and training for Licensed Conveyancers throughout Victoria.