Read This Before You Transfer Any Money
People involved in property transfers are a target for cyber fraud scams. You must take precautions when transferring money.
You cannot trust bank account information that is provided over the phone, by email or sent by SMS to your mobile phone.
Follow these guidelines to avoid becoming a victim:
- When you are provided with bank account details to make a payment you must VERIFY before you ACT.
- Call someone you know who will be able to verify the bank details. Be careful, you must use a phone number that you have used previously and that you know to be genuine.
- Check that you are talking to the correct person and ask them for the bank account details.
- Write down the bank account details you receive over the phone and compare this with the information that was sent to you.
- If there are any discrepancies DO NOT TRANSFER THE MONEY – call your conveyancer and let them know what has happened.
- Similarly, if you need to provide your bank account details, you should provide them over the phone and never send bank account details by email.
Buying or selling a property is a significant financial commitment, don’t let your money end up in the hands of a scammer.